Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Pav Bhaji


This is a fast food dish native to Maharashtrians and is popular in most Metropolitan areas in India.Pav in Marathi means Bread and the Bhaji is a term for a curry and a vegetable dish.Pav Bhaji consists of the bhaji (a potato based curry) with mixed vegetables and the Pav garnished with Coriander and Onions.It is consumed as a snack between lunch and dinner.

I started to eat and like it  with my friends from my school days .My school education  is at "Rajasthani English Medium School" in Vijayawada ,most of the friends are from the North apart from India and from them I came to know some Chaat recipe names & eat.For the School Farewell Party Function ,this Pav bhaji was one of the  party Favourite item  for Me and other South Indian Friends.My Mother never made for me , and I used to eat available on hand carts.My father used to get it for me in India almost when the Weekend comes ,after my marriage ,My husband started me to taste by taking to the street stalls at Hyderabad.I never forget these days when I eat Pav Bhaji .Everytime being tasted from the Vendors,so this time I tried it for the first time in the U.S by seeing various Internet resources .Among them I liked to prepare this with slight variation  from the http://www.gruhinii.com/ edited by Uma Ramana Garu.My kid & hubby liked it well.So,friends here goes my recipe.

Ingredients:
  • Carrot-1 large cubed
  • Poatatoes-2 cubed
  • Cabbage-1 cup
  • Capsicum-1 cup chopped
  • Tomatoes-2 chopped
  • Cauliflower florets-1 cup
  • Onions-2 (1 onion is  finely grounded in to paste)
  • French beans- 8 to 10 string and chop
  • Green peas - 1/4 cup (frozen or dry peas soaked in water )
  • Green chillies- 2 no slit in lengthwise
  • Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
  • Salt-2 tsp or adjust to taste
  • Red chillipowder-1/2 tsp
  • Sugar-1/2 tsp (optional)
  • Cashew paste -2tbsp
  • Oil-1 1/2 tbsp
  • Pav bhaji Masala-1 1/2 tbsps
  • Lemon Juice-1tbsp
For the Pav:
  • Pav / Pav breads- 6 or more of your choice
  • Butter-1 tbsp(low fat butter)
  • Salt & Red chillipowder - a pinch (optional)
Coriander leaves for Garnishing

Preparation:
  • Pressure cook cabbage, carrot,potatoes,cauliflower,beans,peas and carrot along with 1 cup of water for 2 or 3 whistles ,till soft.Drain any left over water from the cooked vegetables and keep it aside.
  • Mash all the cooked vegetables using a masher.
  • Heat oil in a Vessel,add the green chillies and onions and saute for 4 minutes ,add the ginger garlic paste and saute it for another 3 minutes .Now add the capsicum and saute for 2minutes.
  • Add the chillipowder,turmeric powder,Pav bhaji masala,sugar,Kaju/Cashew paste  & salt .Combine well and add the tomatoes & cook untill soft & leave the oil.
  • Add the mashed vegetables along with  a cup of drained stock and cook on high for a minute.
  • Reduce flame and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
  • The gravy will begin to thicken .Adjust the salt if required ,add little butter & garnish with coriander leaves and the Bhaji is ready to serve .
  • Now slice the Pav into two horizontal pieces and aply butter on it.Heat a tava and cook the Pav on both sides untill golden color &rub or  sprinkle with redchilipowder & salt (optional).
  • Serve Pav with hot Bhaji & the Yummy Pav bhaji is ready to enjoy!!


Note:
  • You can choose 2to 3 variety of vegetables for preparing the Bhaji and If the Beet root is used the curry gets the deep reddish purple color.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your valuable comments