Sunday, November 14, 2010

Sooji Halwa


HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO CHA CHA NEHRU
Today is very important day & Festival to every children & is  celebrated as Children's Day in India ,on the basis of Jawaharlal Nehru's Birthday.The festival is marked on a national level to pay tribute to Nehru’s love and passion for children. He was known as Chacha Nehru out of respect and admiration.Jawaharlal Nehru was always very concerned for children, loved them a lot and contributed immensely towards the development.As everyone knows "Today's Children are tomorrows Citizens".

Like every children ,I too enjoyed my child-hood days during this festival & My Mother used to encourage to participate in each and every programs and activities conducted in the school and I felt very happy when I received Prizes both in School level & College level.Past days are sweet & Good memories for me to share at any Moment of Life.Today being a Mother to my Child,I came to know and explain the importance of this day to my son using the knowledge on my past experince came to known by my Teachers & Sir's from my school .I really enjoyed in participating the activities & had a desire towards my son also to have interest & Participate like me.So,Living in U.S,No celebrations done here for this day.I dressed my boy as a "Chacha Nehru" & presented him a small gift of Color Pencils ,as he likes so much for his Coloring.A part from ,prepared a "Sooji Halwa". As everyone like kids ,I too like & love the kids,So I distributed sweets in Maricopa Pre-School children, to where my boys goes.

Look in the eyes of children, they are so innocent. A child’s eyes can never speak untruth. Parents forget about their worries and stress when they look at the sweet smiles of their little ones. Children are like god’s gift. In fact there is not any other wonderful experience than having child and being mother. Celebrate this children’s day with little ones and be a kid with them.

Here goes the Method of Sooji Halwa and posting it for the Children's Day special.



Ingredients:
  • Sooji /Bombay Ravva /Semolina flour- 1/2 cup
  • Sugar-1/3 cup
  • Water-1 1/2 cup
  • Ghee /Clear butter- 1/4 cup
  • Elachi powder-pinch
  • Nuts & Raisins ( roasted in ghee for garnishing)
Method:
  1. Boil the water with water & Elachi powder in a pan over low medium heat & cover it by keeping a side.
  2. Melt the butter in a frying pan on medium heat.
  3. Add Sooji and roast to golden brown color ; stirring constantly this will take about for 5 - 8 minutes and will have  a light sweet aroma.
  4. Add the sugar syrup slowly ,as you add the syrup to sooji water will splatter.
  5. Turn down the heat to medium low and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
  6. Sooji will  absorb the water , as the halwa cools ,it will be little more softer.
  7. Garnish with Nuts & Raisins and serve it either hot or cool.
Serving Suggestion:
  • For breakfast serve with Aloo poori.
  • Serve hot for best taste,If you like garnish with shredded coconut ,almonds,cashews or shaved pistachio.
Variations:
  • Instead of water add 1 cup milk,1/2 cup water and this keeps Halwa a little thicker.
  • Pour Halwa on a plate greased with Ghee ,keep it about 1/2 inch thick.
  • Garnish with any Nuts or Raisins of your choice and let it cool for about half an hour.
  • Cut the Halwa in Square or Diamonds shapes like Burfee.
             Like to share your Recipes & Comments about this recipe to divya.chevuri2009@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your valuable comments