- Menthu aakulu/Methi leaves-1cup
- Toor dal-1cup
- Green chillies-3to 4 slit lenghtwise
- Onion-1 no chopped
- Tomato-1 no (optional)
- Tamarind-1/2 ''
- Water-2 cups or add more
- Salt to taste
- Red chilipowder-1/2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds-1/2tsp
- Cumin seeds-1/2tsp
- Red chillies-2 breaks
- Hing- a pinch (optional)
- Garlic -2 pods crushed (optional)
- Curry leaves- few
- Wash the dal with water twice and drain all the water.
- Shift the dal in to a pressure cooker and add water, turmeric,onions,tomatoes,green chillies and tamarind .Cover the lid keeping the Weight on its top and allow to cook for 4 whistles.
- Mean while take a hard bottomed pan,add oil for seasoning.
- Heat oil ,add Mustard seeds,Cumin seeds ;when they splutters add the red chillies,curryl eaves ,hing and garlic pods.Let them all roast and turn off the stove.
- Now when the cooker pressure comes down,open the lid and mash the dal & put it on a low flame adjust with salt and chilipowder.
- Let it cook for few minutes till the chillipowder dissolves and bubbles out.Stir well in the middle of the cook.
- Now add the seasoning and stir well.Switch off the flame.
- Fenugreek dal is ready to serve & taste well with Rice,Roti or chapathi.
- You can also do seasoning with Ghee instead of Oil for the kids to taste better.
- If you feel the leaves taste bitter,add little salt to the leaves ,set it aside for few seconds and later squeeze the water from it.(But doing so may lose some nutrition)