Sunday, October 3, 2010

Tomato bath Upma

I always used to shout at my mom whenever she prepares Upma for breakfast all time in Childhood.Even I hate to cook also Upma, after my marriage my hubby likes all variety of Upmas.So ,I started liking to cook and eat.This Upma tastes little differ than regular /Normal Upma.But the Cooking is same as the Normal Upma only,addition of tomatoes makes "Tomato bath".In India,for any Functions in the Morning time,people used to prepare this Tomato bath or Plain Upma combination with Coconut chutney & sambar.In Vijayawada,I took this Upma as a Prasadam from people those who observe "Ayyapa Deeksha" Bhajan.(Only with Tomatoes & Seasoning,{Onions and ginger not added})I remember the experiments done in preparing Upma at the time after my Marriage.My mom always used to say Upma is very easy and quick tiffin to do.She explained the method of cooking the Upma and I failed to do it well.My Upma was full of lumps(small balls) and my husband laughed at me saying ,"In your city Upma looks like balls".I always worried while stirring the Ravva .Anyhow ,"Practise makes man perfect"in the same way ,after practising so many times ,I am perfect in doing Upma well.Now my husband likes to taste with out any comments.So friends ,those who hate to eat regular Upma can  try this Tomato bath for a delicious lip smacking dish.

Ingredients:
  • Sooji/Bombay ravva-1cup
  • Water- 2 cups
  • Onion-1 chopped
  • Greenpeas-1tbsp(optional)
  • Tomato-1 chopped
  • Ginger-1/2 inch chopped (peeled)
  • Greenchillies-2no chopped
  • Cashews- few
  • Groundnuts/peanuts- few
  • Grated carrot-1 tbsp(optional)
  • Potato- 1 chopped
  • Salt to taste
  • Haldi/Turmeric/Pasupu- a pinch
  • Oil-2tbsp
  • Ghee-1tbsp
  • Cuminseeds-1/2tsp
  • Mustard seeds-1/2tsp
  • Chanadal-1/2tsp
  • Curryleaves- few
  • Cilantro/Kothimeer/Coriander leaves- few handful
Preparation:
  • Heat the pan with oil.
  • Add the cumin,mustard seeds,when they crackles add curryleaves ,cashews and ground nuts and roast it.
  • Now add the Onions,ginger,greenchillies,potato pieces and tomatoes,saute it well by adding little salt.
  • Pour water in to the pan and add a pinch of turmeric powder and mix well.
  • Adjust with salt.
  • Boil the water ,till it runs with bubbles.
  • Now keep the gas in a lowflame,add the ravva and stir continuously with a spatula,without any delay in between .
  • Keep on stirring continuously,till it comes closer .
  • When it starts bubbles ,add little ghee and turn off the gas.
  • Garnish with Kothimeer and grated carrot.
  • serve it in to a bowl or plate.
  • Taste the Yummy.......yummy Tomato bath with any spicy chutney,Gunpowder or by sprinkling lemon juice on it.
Tip:
  • To cook very soon ,Upma add boiled water.
  • To avoid lumps,roast the ravva in a pan &have the roasted ravva in to the Newspaper ,and pour to the pan and stir it.
  • Kids can like it by adding Ghee & along with Tomato sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your valuable comments