Challa is a telugu word .It means Curds beaten with water,Buttermilk with a Churn-staff.This is one type of Upma which can be prepared at anytime easily when the curd is left over and goes well at anytime of the day to taste.Its making is very easy and simple .It tastes excellent only if the curds are sour.This is one type of instant Upma prepared in South India.Usually people in South India,follows to cook regularly for kids when they are recovering from the ill ,to make their bitter tongue tasty.So,friends,In India making the Curds to sour is easier than in U.S.Sometimes leaving out the curds from the refrigerator doesn't turn sour because of the cool weather.So,to make this Challapindi more tasty add a little amount of Lemon Juice to fill up that sourness.Moreover,this variation of Upma doesn't requires any combination of Powders,Pickles or Chutneys as it has tangy spicy kick to it and doesn't taste good unless hot.So here goes the recipe.
- Rice flour-1cup
- Yogurt/Curd-1cup (Well whisked)
- Onion-1/2 chopped
- Green chillies-4 to 5 (Slit in Lengthwise)
- Lemon juice-1 tsp or as required (optional)
- Urad dal-1/2tsp
- Bengal gram-1tsp
- Mustard seeds-1/2tsp
- Cumin seeds-1/2tsp
- Red chilli-1 (broken)
- Ginger- 1/2 " pieces
- Curryleaves- few sprigs
- Hing/Asafoetida- a pinch (optional)
- Cashewnuts & Peanuts- few (optional)
- In abowl,mix the curd with water and whisk well.To this add salt,rice flour and mix it in to a smooth flowy consistency like a dosa batter.
- Now heat pan with the oil for the seasoning.Add the Mustard seeds,Cumin seeds,Bengal gram ,Urad dal and redchilli.
- When the seeds start spluttering,add the green chillies slits,ginger pieces,cashew,peanuts & curry leaves and saute for a while.
- Now add the chopped onions and cook till they turn translucent.
- Now keep the gas in lowflame,add teh Rice flour & Yogurt mixture slowly and keep stirring continuously still it starts bubbling and the riceflour mixture becomes thick and cooked.
- Turn off the flame,add lemonjuice &mix.
- Serve it hot by having into a plate and enjoy it soon when it is hot!!!
- Omit Onions & ginger,during the fasting days.
- If the curd is sour no need to add lemon juice.
- Soak Moongdal and add to the seasoning ,cook with little amount of water.